1.25.2010

Netbook or Notebook ~ You Might Be Surprised!

In the past few months, we have received numerous calls regarding our thoughts on Netbook versus Notebook computers. Netbooks are similar to a notebook, only smaller and normally less expensive. As you know, anything that has to do with technology can undergo massive changes in a matter of months. I had not taken the time to re-investigate Netbooks until Sandy Cruz, a good friend and a Minutes Matter customer, purchased a "Dell Mini 10." I asked her to let me know how it performed after she had been using it for a couple of months. She installed programs such as Studio, Outlook, QuickBooks, Picture Manager, and Photoshop Elements. To sum up Sandy's thoughts regarding her Netbook, here is a direct quote from her "I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my little "Mini 10," it is always with me."
Netbook
Netbooks have become such a hot topic and they perform almost as well as a notebook. Notice the size of the Netbook in comparison to the coffee cup in the image above, they are small and super lightweight. I recommend purchasing a 10" screen if you are planning on using it as a portable computer for your business. You can surf the web, connect on your social networking sites and run almost any business or personal software. Also, many mobile phones allow you to tether your computer to your phone for Internet access, eliminating the need for the $60 per month fee for a mobile broadband card.

TIP: Processors are generally not as fast on Netbooks, which means you shouldn't have too many programs open at the same time.

My recommendations for a Netbook:
  • Windows 7 Operating System
  • Intel Atom Processor (533 MHz or higher)
  • 1GB memory or more (remember you're going to install Studio, Photoshop Elements, etc.)
  • 160GB hard drive
  • Always purchase an extended warranty for any portable computer
As I am writing this ezine, I realize that I would love a Netbook! I love the fact that it is so lightweight. They weight approximately 2.5 lbs. If you have been contemplating the purchase of a notebook, I definitely recommend researching specs on both a Notebook and a Netbook before making your purchase.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard the screen resolution on a Mini 10 prevents you from using Quickbooks. Your friend is able to use Quickbooks without any problems?
    That's good to hear!

    ReplyDelete